STUDENTS INDUSTRIAL WORK EXPERIENCE SHEME (SIWES) UNIT
SIWES is training programme designed to prepare and expose students of the schools of vocational and secondary education for the industrial work situation they are likely to meet after graduation.
Students Industrial Work Experience Sheme (Siwes) Unit
The Student Industrial Work Experience Scheme (SIWES) is training programme designed to prepare and expose students of the schools of vocational and secondary education for the industrial work situation they are likely to meet after graduation.
The scheme affords students the opportunity to familiarizing and exposing themselves to handling of equipment and machineries that are usually not available in their institutions, The SIWES can equally prepare students to be self-reliant after graduation and become entrepreneurs, job creators and wealth creators. The SIWES will bridge the gap between theory and practice and thereby ensuring that students acquire functional education before graduation.
Objectives of SIWES
Specifically, the objectives of SIWES are to:
- Provide avenue for students in School of vocational and secondary education to acquire industrial skills and experience in their course of study.
- Expose students to work methods and techniques in handling equipment and machineries that may not be available in their institution.
- Make transition from school to world of work easier and enhance students contacts for later job placement
- Provide students with opportunity to apply their knowledge in real work situation thereby the gap between theory and practice and
- Enlist and strengthen employers’ involvement in the entire educational process and prepare students for employment after graduation.
Activity of SIWES Unit
The SIWES unit is involved in the identification of industries and organization where students will carry out their attachment. The unit also ensures the supervision and grading of the student’s performance during their industrial attachment. Recently, the unit has been involved in the training of graduate unemployed youths in partnership with world bank assisted Fadama project called Fadama Guys. The Unit is also planning to partner with NDE in association with the World Bank to train Youths in various trades.
Suggestion to Students
The students should take the industrial attachment seriously because it is the opportunity to expose them to real practical experience that will prepare them to becoming self-employed and entrepreneur after graduation.
The SIWES is a fundamental aspect of students training, that will make the to become self-employed and entrepreneurs after graduation. It will also prepare students to meet the demand of industries and organizations of employing practically experienced workers. The SIWES is germane in students training because it prepares students for national economic growth and development through wealth creation when they become self-employed and entrepreneurs after graduation.